Compression acting weird

Austin99

so I have a sacrifice SCS clamp. I tighten it down pretty tight, tight enough so it won't loosen. After awhile of riding probably 20-30 min my compression is loose I can hear it rattle and I can feel the play. When I take my bars off to tighten my compression bolt. My headset is magically tight again. Just as I had it before. Just to make sure I tighten it even more. But it just repeats, it loosens I take my bars off and it's tight again. Does anyone have a clue?

Elliott SR

Bronze member
so I have a sacrifice SCS clamp. I tighten it down pretty tight, tight enough so it won't loosen. After awhile of riding probably 20-30 min my compression is loose I can hear it rattle and I can feel the play. When I take my bars off to tighten my compression bolt. My headset is magically tight again. Just as I had it before. Just to make sure I tighten it even more. But it just repeats, it loosens I take my bars off and it's tight again. Does anyone have a clue?
It's probably stripped. Cop a new bolt.

Madis

Super Geek
Staff member
Wait just a second.
I've got a few questions.

Is this your first SCS?

And would you describe in what order (and how much) do you tighten all your bolts, like really specifically? It may sound like a weird question but I'm actually troubleshooting here – I've done workshops to young riders, some of whom learn how to properly tighten their clamps and compressions.

Austin99

Wait just a second.
I've got a few questions.

Is this your first SCS?

And would you describe in what order (and how much) do you tighten all your bolts, like really specifically? It may sound like a weird question but I'm actually troubleshooting here – I've done workshops to young riders, some of whom learn how to properly tighten their clamps and compressions.

Yes this is my first SCS clamp. And I tighten them from (top to bottom) 1, 3, 2, 4.

Austin99

PLumbers tape on compression bolt
But the thing is my bolt isn't coming loose. I take my bars off and I even marked the bolt position, it's not loosening. I have found some sort of solution though. If I loosen my clamp, so it wasn't as tight as before my compression seems to be tightening back up. But, not all the way.

Madis

Super Geek
Staff member
After you tighten your 1-2-3-4 bolts or in whatever sequence, you repeat.
You should repeat the tightening sequence until no bolt moves on.

After you've tightened all four bolts the first round, the pressure on the first bolt you tightened is gonna ease up since the rest of the three bolts are gonna help each other to distribute the pressure on the clamp between each bolt. You should be able to tighten them bolt-by-bolt until none of the bolts really don't move on anymore and it keeps tight all the way, evenly.

DISCLAIMER: when you need to open next time, make sure you take the bolts out the same way – just spinning the bolts just a quarter of a spin per bolt at a time. Quarter of a spin counter-clockwise, switch key to another bolt, repeat, until all bolts come evenly loose. Because you can imagine, those 4 bolts if you tighten them the way I described you, they are gonna be in like some mighty-tighty motherfuckers. Otherwise if you take out entirely your first bolt, second bolt and your third bolt, then your fourth bolt is gonna be in the clamp with the pressure of four bolts and as soon as you turn it (sometime you don't even have to do anything really), it explodes to pieces and then you're gonna have major fun getting a broken bolt out of the clamp, haha.

This explains why the compression bolt doesn't move, but the headset/bars become loose after some riding.
You should be able to tighten your clamp properly. And when you do that, remember to untighten it safely as well when in need.

Austin99

After you tighten your 1-2-3-4 bolts or in whatever sequence, you repeat.
You should repeat the tightening sequence until no bolt moves on.

After you've tightened all four bolts the first round, the pressure on the first bolt you tightened is gonna ease up since the rest of the three bolts are gonna help each other to distribute the pressure on the clamp between each bolt. You should be able to tighten them bolt-by-bolt until none of the bolts really don't move on anymore and it keeps tight all the way, evenly.

DISCLAIMER: when you need to open next time, make sure you take the bolts out the same way – just spinning the bolts just a quarter of a spin per bolt at a time. Quarter of a spin counter-clockwise, switch key to another bolt, repeat, until all bolts come evenly loose. Because you can imagine, those 4 bolts if you tighten them the way I described you, they are gonna be in like some mighty-tighty motherfuckers. Otherwise if you take out entirely your first bolt, second bolt and your third bolt, then your fourth bolt is gonna be in the clamp with the pressure of four bolts and as soon as you turn it (sometime you don't even have to do anything really), it explodes to pieces and then you're gonna have major fun getting a broken bolt out of the clamp, haha.

This explains why the compression bolt doesn't move, but the headset/bars become loose after some riding.
You should be able to tighten your clamp properly. And when you do that, remember to untighten it safely as well when in need.

I did what you said. Basically I tighten them all the way like you said and by the time I'm done tightening the compression is already loose. I can't feel it moving but I can move my top cap and it rattles like crazy

Madis

Super Geek
Staff member
(Perhaps you're missing some parts from the headset?)

What setup are you running?