Difference bettwen compression clamp & normal clamp

ChenYunMu

Hi i was browsing through scooterhut and I came across compression clamps which is what everyone is talking about but there are other clamps i saw which comes in 2 or 3 bolt. What are those for and what is the difference and pro and cons of it. Thanks

Hcc

Silver Member
The "compression clamp" is an SCS or Standard Compression System, it acts as a clamp to hold your bars in place and as a compression system to keep your headset tight. Regular double, triple, and quad (2,3 and 4 bolts) clamps are just clamps and won't compress your headset and keep it tight. The purpose of the double, triple and quad clamps is to be used with another compression, either ICS, HIC, IHC or your standard threaded compression. I won't explain to you how they all work as that info is already in the compression section of the forum but SCS is generally regarded as the best system of compression because it works with virtually all forks on the market, it seems to stay tighter than most other compression systems and you don't need to run a slit in your bars, meaning you have less chance of snapping them. You can't just take your SCS clamp off and use a regular clamp otherwise you would have no compression keeping your headset tight, even if you install a new compression you would still need to cut a slit in your bars and they would be shorter than what they are in SCS (SCS raises your bar height by 1.5 - 2 inch depending on which SCS you're using), also if you switch to a different system and cut a slit in your bars, you can't just switch back as you please as you would need to block the slit with a pipe or cut the slit off. I'm pretty sure you are already using SCS, DON'T switch to another compression and if you want to change your clamp, make sure you buy an SCS clamp, not a regular clamp or it won't work.

ChenYunMu

Yup im already using a shitty oversized scs clamp. Was thinking of getting Tilt SCS compression. not sure if its good though i know most people would go for proto

Hcc

Silver Member
Most people here would agree that the tilt is better than the proto mainly because the bolts on the tilt are 6mm opposed the proto's 5mm bolts
And because the baby sized TILT SCS still fits oversized bars but baby Proto doesn't.

ChenYunMu

Thanks Devin and HCC on telling me that. hmm When you said Tilt Baby are you referring to Tilt Arc SCS? sorry for the noob questions.

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
Thanks Devin and HCC on telling me that. hmm When you said Tilt Baby are you referring to Tilt Arc SCS? sorry for the noob questions.
No, any baby scs refers to the smaller 3 in height opposed to the full, 4 in height. Though tilt does make a smaller one called the "light" that only fits standard bars.

Hcc

Silver Member
ALL versions of TILT SCS' are the same height, 3"
As Devin said, any SCS that's 3" in height is considered a baby SCS but the Proto 4" SCS and Urban Artt 3.9" SCS would be considered full sized SCS'

who likes this set up i want to end up with soon?
GOLD PHEONIX ION DECK 5"
BLACK TILT SCOUT BARS
BLACK TILT SCS COMPRESSION
BLACK ROOT INDUSTRYS HEADSET
BLACK TILT LEGACY FORKS
TILT JONA HUMBEL SIG. WHEELS
FRIENDLY GRIPTAPE