New bars, seems like a lot of play at base

snitz427

Hello! I got my son some new District V2 bars for his scooter, and after putting them on I noticed there is a LOT of play. It seems like the bars/headset/fork really have a lot of movement forward and backward. I can stand still and rock the bars back and forth quite a bit. The new bars fit the IHC (I think) and clamp just fine. I'm not sure if the problem existed before hand, and my son just never told me, or if it is new with the bars. Could we have loosened the headset or something when wiggling the old bars off? I'm positive its not the bars or the clamp, but I have no idea how much play is supposed to be there, and what might need to be tightened to get ride of it. I can't image that THAT much play is normal. It might be 10 degrees or so of play!

Any help is appreciated for a scooter mom noob.

Thanks,
Nat

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
There actually shouldn't be any play in the headset. If there is play and it's moving back and forth then the compression is loose. All it should take is some tightening of the bolt at the top of the fork.

If it still doesn't tighten, you'll probably need a new conpression system as IHC isn't the most reliable to begin with.

instinctscooter

Silver Member
Hello! I got my son some new District V2 bars for his scooter, and after putting them on I noticed there is a LOT of play. It seems like the bars/headset/fork really have a lot of movement forward and backward. I can stand still and rock the bars back and forth quite a bit. The new bars fit the IHC (I think) and clamp just fine. I'm not sure if the problem existed before hand, and my son just never told me, or if it is new with the bars. Could we have loosened the headset or something when wiggling the old bars off? I'm positive its not the bars or the clamp, but I have no idea how much play is supposed to be there, and what might need to be tightened to get ride of it. I can't image that THAT much play is normal. It might be 10 degrees or so of play!

Any help is appreciated for a scooter mom noob.

Thanks,
Nat
the compression should be tightened, you will need to take off the bars and tighten the bolt on the ihc if that is what you have. if it does not solve the problem and you dont know what to do i suggest taking it to a scooter shop

snitz427

Great, thanks guys! I know exactly what you're referring to... I was afraid to tighten it without asking incase it would have a negative effect. Thanks again!