I wear a helmet when i go to the park but when im not riding in the park its flat on my driveway.
IMO for me a helmet doesnt really help..About a year ago i was going HUGE on dirt jumps up in Mammoth California. I did the 12 pack around 7 times perfectly each time. Then i came up litterally this short |----| with my front wheel and went straight over the bars and faced into the ground. I didnt even hit my helmet i smashed my face, got a broken nose a swollen eye socket, a little piece of my ear ripped off ( it grew back), a concussion, and a broken arm. I was knocked out for like 5 minutes but was "blacked" out like the lights are on but nobodies home for like 3 days. In that case it didnt help AT ALL, but when i go to the park i insist on wearing one. i know, Cool Story Bro.
Sorry 'bout your lose.