Bar height - 6 yr old son

somegeek

My son's 6th birthday is coming up and I'm replacing his Coscto special scooter with a Lucky Crew. He's been riding his scooter a lot at home and the skatepark and I don't want it to hold him back or get him to get hurt if something fails.

I cut the stock bar down to 19 1/4" tall - took off 2 1/4".

The bar width is the same as his BMX bike so I figured that width is okay?

He's growing like a weed - 96% percentile in height for his age so I wonder how often I'll be replacing his bar as he grows.

I've read that having the bar a little higher is more comfortable to learn on vs lower for stunts. He's not that advanced of a rider at this point.

He's just happy riding and hopping curbs and the like. The kids at the skatepark helped me set the height on his current scooter. 24" from deck to top surface of the bars this winter. This new setup is 26" from deck to the top of the bars which I think may be too high?

Just wanted to get it as close to a good fit before surprising him on his birthday tomorrow. Maybe I just need to see him ride to see if I need to lower it more.

Appreciate any input/guidance.

somegeek

Bror Svensson

Gold Member
we usualy messure the actual bar height not all way the way from the ground because then wheel size, headtube height etc would play into that facture. I would recommend having bars that are up to his hips. Probably new bar every year because he will grow fast.

somegeek

we usualy messure the actual bar height not all way the way from the ground because then wheel size, headtube height etc would play into that facture. I would recommend having bars that are up to his hips. Probably new bar every year because he will grow fast.

This is good to know. I think I have some cutting to do then after I check this fit with him. Wouldn't have thought to replace yearly but good to know this is normal and will plan for it.

Thanks for the reply.

parrish

Administrator
Staff member
you definitely want to bring his bars in if they're as wide as his bike bars. 16 wide should be fine. You basically want the bars to be where your arms hang neutrally, so shoulder width is usually the rule of thumb for width, and you want the bars to be right around the groin, depending on how long your arms are, so you aren't reaching to scrunching your arms. Because hes so young and probably somewhat small you probably want to go a few inches over those rules in both directions because you'd end up with a tiny scooter and the deck would not be balanced with the bars. Hope that helps!

somegeek

you definitely want to bring his bars in if they're as wide as his bike bars. 16 wide should be fine. You basically want the bars to be where your arms hang neutrally, so shoulder width is usually the rule of thumb for width, and you want the bars to be right around the groin, depending on how long your arms are, so you aren't reaching to scrunching your arms. Because hes so young and probably somewhat small you probably want to go a few inches over those rules in both directions because you'd end up with a tiny scooter and the deck would not be balanced with the bars. Hope that helps!

The grip area of his new bars is 17.5". Overall the bars are 18 1/2" wide.

After my first cut, height-wise these new bars are 1.5" inch taller than his existing. His existing scooter bars sit at his belt line. I'll check out how his arms hang in reference to his old scooter tonight. May take off another inch.

0728151534a.jpg

Bror Svensson

Gold Member
The grip area of his new bars is 17.5". Overall the bars are 18 1/2" wide.

After my first cut, height-wise these new bars are 1.5" inch taller than his existing. His existing scooter bars sit at his belt line. I'll check out how his arms hang in reference to his old scooter tonight. May take off another inch.

View attachment 1594
looks good, let him try it out before you cut more. Because you can always make it shorter but never longer.

somegeek

I trimmed roughly 4" (10cm) total off the bar from stock and he got his scooter this morning. He happily freaked out he has a big boy scooter now. :)

He rode it and it's at a good height from the looks of it.

Thanks again for the input!

Bror Svensson

Gold Member
I trimmed roughly 4" (10cm) total off the bar from stock and he got his scooter this morning. He happily freaked out he has a big boy scooter now. :)

He rode it and it's at a good height from the looks of it.

Thanks again for the input!
Hope he enjoys it! Dont forget the helmet!