Beginners Composition.

Ben Moak

Steel Member
So you just got a camera did you?
Well hooray, you've landed yourself smack dab into the middle of a great hobby!
But you may now be looking as to what you can do to take those pictures from friendly snapshots, too photographic art.

Ok well maybe not "art" but you are looking to improve your photos.
And there is no better place to start, than composition.

To begin, when taking a picture you want there (most of the time) to be a definite subject, a photo that someone has too search for the main point is generally not a good photo

IMG_3205.JPG

The above is a prime example of a picture with no definite subject, notice how your eyes aren't exactly attracted towards anything within the photo?

thirds-marblehead-lighthouse-grid.jpg

now this picture has a definite subject, clearly this is a picture of a lighthouse, better yet it also brings me to my next point, the rule of thirds.

Rule of thirds? dafuq is this, math?
Well not exactly, the rule of thirds is a guideline to follow that basically says try to keep the subject in one of the of the intersections of lines, it's much more interesting too look at a a subject with a decent background, which often times cannot be achieved with a center'd and head on perspective, really stuff just looks more artistic and is generally more pleasing to look at from one of thirds rather than the direct center.

rule_of_thirds.jpg

those red points are generally what you should try to keep your subject on.

And on to my final point,
Keep your horizons horizontal, and your vertical shit vertical.
When shooting a landscape, or any picture really, it is best to keep the skyline or 'horizon' on a completely level platform, doing this makes whatver your looking at just look more 'natural' and not horizontal horizons just look plain awkward. Same thing goes for verticals, if you have a portrait or something the likes that is going to include a pole or tree in the foreground or background, keep it vertical. Like i said for the horizons, it would otherwise just look unnatural and out of place.

rule+of+thirds+4.jpg

this photo both exemplifies vertical and horizontal placement, the light house is up and down, and the waterline/horizon is straight across.

Well thats pretty much all for now, keep in mind this is a very basic tutorial/guideline and should not be seen as a guide to be a professional, professional's are people who have pushed the boundaries and fundamentals and have done it well.

iSEESOUNDS

Bronze member
If there's one thing I took out of my Graphic Communications (photography) I class that helped me more than anything, it is that the rule of thirds is the shit.

Devin Catron

Steel Member
The rule of thirds is a great place to begin. There are some times when you dont want to use the rule of thirds. ie. subjects within subjects.

Tyler P

Bronze member
Rule of thirds is the best thing I got out of my freshman foundations class.
You should make more of these, quite handy.
Like a *photography basics* type deal.

TomGeorge

Steel Member
^^^yes! That would be so helpful, and videography ones as well - stuff like White balance, iso, shutter speed etc

Blake

Steel Member
I made a thread about shutterspeed, ISO and aperture and how it all related but it is now in the deep depths of the videography section.

Maz.

Steel Member
Thankyou
edit: Just looked at your stat's, and apparently the thread is no longer around, gonna have to ask a mod to get that back

Ben Moak

Steel Member
I would write more of these, but i'd end up being wrong so i'll leave that up to a more experienced photographer lol

hint hint blake hint hint

Ben Moak

Steel Member
routers and switches tyler tools eastpak backpack pink christmas tree oddson ¥Ë¥å©`¥Ð¥é¥ó¥¹ ¥ì¥Ç¥£©`¥¹
air optix chanel5 r707 digital camera hc96 kenmore upright freezers ¥ô¥£¥ô¥£¥¢¥ó ¥¦¥¨¥¹¥È¥¦¥Ã¥É Ø”²¼
travel dio guides multicultural church snow ski apparel dvd storage cases spongebob bedding MCM ¼¤°²
multi disc dvd recorder n101 olympus c 5050 manual sanyo vi 2300 discount camping gear

say that to my face and I'll route and switch your mom's pussy.