Careers

skyrockett

Bronze member
Nice are you gonna stick with cars or will you move onto to like painting peoples houses there may be good money there if you know how to do it right
Not sure tbh, I'm going to stay with cars for a while yet, but industrial spray painting (machinery etc.) gets huge dollars, so there might be a chance of me doing that..

Beyond16

Bronze member
Im a sophomore computer science major.
It entails lots of long nights and tears(not really, but actually)
in it to stack $crilla
uhhh go to college I guess would be my advice. Learning to code isnt too bad but nothing compares learning the math and theory behind it, especially for positions like software engineers who can easily start you at over 6 figures
6 figure starting salaries are rare for software engineers, at least for locations with reasonable housing costs. A job in the Bay area might have a 20K cost of living premium over the same job in Texas. But even in Texas, starting salaries are probably just approaching 80K at best. My wife and I are both software engineers and we both have B.S. degrees. She has 8 years experience and HP is paying her only 75K. My salary started at 18K in 1982 and peaked at 120K. In the late 1990's a Master's degree could be worth a 10K premium on starting salary. It might be worth something similar today.

Frank T

Silver Member
6 figure starting salaries are rare for software engineers, at least for locations with reasonable housing costs. A job in the Bay area might have a 20K cost of living premium over the same job in Texas. But even in Texas, starting salaries are probably just approaching 80K at best. My wife and I are both software engineers and we both have B.S. degrees. She has 8 years experience and HP is paying her only 75K. My salary started at 18K in 1982 and peaked at 120K. In the late 1990's a Master's degree could be worth a 10K premium on starting salary. It might be worth something similar today.
I guess I shouldnt have used easily lol, my sample size is small, but of my few gradauted friends I know a few. That is also because of the ludicrous federal wages by the companies here that snatch up all the comp sci people like NSA, CIA and the tons of defense contractors, alot of money in it in the DMV. where did you go to school?, if you dont mind, im curious.

Im also minoring in astronomy with a focus on cosmology. Mainly for giggles as I love astrophysics but NASA Goddard space center is 20 minutes away from me. One can dream

Beyond16

Bronze member
I guess I shouldnt have used easily lol, my sample size is small, but of my few gradauted friends I know a few. That is also because of the ludicrous federal wages by the companies here that snatch up all the comp sci people like NSA, CIA and the tons of defense contractors, alot of money in it in the DMV. where did you go to school?, if you dont mind, im curious.

Im also minoring in astronomy with a focus on cosmology. Mainly for giggles as I love astrophysics but NASA Goddard space center is 20 minutes away from me. One can dream
I guess my problem was working in the PC part of the computer business. Great in the 1990's, but in decline ever since. I went to Stephen F. Austin State University in Texas for 2 years, majoring in physics. Then I switched to EE at UT Austin for 2 years. I almost finished EE, but then switched back to SFASU for a year to complete the physics degree with a minor in mathematics.

JoelanPlz

Steel Member
What do you want to do? realistically I'd like to be a penetration tester in computer security so im going to uni for either computing or computer security next year but truthfully I dont know. i just want to be self employed and get a lot of money.
Why do you want to do it? Always been good with computers and its an area that interests me. Pen testing just seems like the most fun and creative outlet in the area in my opinion and its fairly well paid.
Anything you're doing now to get involved? As mentioned probably going to Uni in an area around computing, I've tought myself HTML, CSS, SQL and how to use CLI's and i've experimented with Java, Python and C#. Learnt a lot of security theory and played with Metasploit, Kali and Wireshark.
Advice you have for other people looking to get into it. Just put the time and effort in and approach it with a creative mindset instead of being a drone thats watched a few youtube videos really.

Brennan

Steel Member
I'm a freshman in college at Washington University in St. Louis, going for a degree in architecture right now.
I want to do it because my brain is made to think spatially, and 3D design comes very naturally to me. Architecture is a really tough degree with tons of hours in studio every semester, but I can't really imagine myself doing anything else. Plus a masters in architecture allows you to do a lot of different things, I'm interested in industrial/product design too.
If you plan to go into architecture, just build and design lots of things, whatever you want. Get your brain wired to your own design process and that's the key.

skyrockett

Bronze member
I'm a freshman in college at Washington University in St. Louis, going for a degree in architecture right now.
I want to do it because my brain is made to think spatially, and 3D design comes very naturally to me. Architecture is a really tough degree with tons of hours in studio every semester, but I can't really imagine myself doing anything else. Plus a masters in architecture allows you to do a lot of different things, I'm interested in industrial/product design too.
If you plan to go into architecture, just build and design lots of things, whatever you want. Get your brain wired to your own design process and that's the key.
Architecture was one of the careers I really wanted in high school, too bad I started fucking around and getting bad grades haha

majohnson1

Bronze member

My two cents. Switch to Civil Engineering if you like architecture. You can still work in that industry but you will have a much easier time getting work and will probably make more money faster.

Brennan

Steel Member
My two cents. Switch to Civil Engineering if you like architecture. You can still work in that industry but you will have a much easier time getting work and will probably make more money faster.
I might if I could do calculus haha. Civil engineering focuses more on the mathematical side of things, whereas architecture is more artistic and design-forward which fits me better.