Careers

TheObserver

Steel Member
As you can tell, I prefer to observe quietly, and have only started posting again recently. I've noticed that this forum's gotten a lot more positive, and generally carries more visitors. As I've found out, scootering was really something that I enjoyed(and still do enjoy) but a big part of my life right now is the career I am aspiring to. As a separate piece of the whole "get to know you" buzz that this forum has, use this thread to talk about what you aspire to be, do, etc. Use it to ask questions, give advice, and encourage others.
So; for a basic guideline.
What do you want to do?
Why do you want to do it?
Anything you're doing now to get involved?
Advice you have for other people looking to get into it.

Cole

Bronze member
What do you want to do? Something involving computer programming.
Why do you want to do it? I have always liked computers and coding.
Anything you're doing now to get involved? Learning multiple languages Java, C++, Python...
Advice you have for other people looking to get into it. Jump into it and watch online videos a lot of good stuff there, Be creative with your programs code what u want to and don't be afraid to ask questions on sites like stack overflow

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
Just petty cash playing small gigs like weddings and little festivals on varying instruments while I get through school. I'd like to point my life towards something music oriented, but pay really sucks for music careers and I'm kind of sketched out by that haha. So I'm not really 100% sure what I'm going to do yet.

Cole

Bronze member
Just petty cash playing small gigs like weddings and little festivals on varying instruments while I get through school. I'd like to point my life towards something music oriented, but pay really sucks for music careers and I'm kind of sketched out by that haha. So I'm not really 100% sure what I'm going to do yet.
i did not know you were a musician, what instruments do you play? im a amatuer musician too im not veery good but i enjoy it

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
i did not know you were a musician, what instruments do you play? im a amatuer musician too im not veery good but i enjoy it
I've been working with the guitar for 8 years, piano for 9, double bass for 6, and cello on and off for 8. So you could say that I've had some experience with music haha. What about you?

Cole

Bronze member
I've been working with the guitar for 8 years, piano for 9, double bass for 6, and cello on and off for 8. So you could say that I've had some experience with music haha. What about you?
im just a amatuer vocalist myself I mess around a bit on my guitar to though

Beyond16

Bronze member
What do you want to do?
Why do you want to do it?
Anything you're doing now to get involved?
Advice you have for other people looking to get into it.
I am retired now. I worked in the SCADA business for 12 years then the computer business for 19 years. I actually applied for a full time job recently. Extra money would let me expand my hobbies without getting strange looks from my wife. It is an unique opportunity that would wouldn't take all of my freedom away. I did 4 phone interviews and I am waiting now. If I don't get that job, I would like to eventually start a small business. I would like to do small scale manufacturing in the USA. Yes, I have considered scooter related manufacturing, but I am not sure that is right for me.

Advice: Save money. Money = freedom, freedom from worry. It is easier to put up with a shitty job knowing you can walk out at any time without creating a money problem for you or your family.

Cole

Bronze member
I am retired now. I worked in the SCADA business for 12 years then the computer business for 19 years. I actually applied for a full time job recently. Extra money would let me expand my hobbies without getting strange looks from my wife. It is an unique opportunity that would wouldn't take all of my freedom away. I did 4 phone interviews and I am waiting now. If I don't get that job, I would like to eventually start a small business. I would like to do small scale manufacturing in the USA. Yes, I have considered scooter related manufacturing, but I am not sure that is right for me.

Advice: Save money. Money = freedom, freedom from worry. It is easier to put up with a shitty job knowing you can walk out at any time without creating a money problem for you or your family.
nice advice man :) also is that your kid in your profile pic

James Hoffmann

Bronze member
but pay really sucks for music careers.
In a classical setting, if one can somehow manage to make their way into a world class orchestra, you can make a decent amount. Minnesota Orchestra's base pay is around $134,000 which is decent, Boston's pays the highest in the US I believe. As much as I'm considering a music major, as you said, decent paying jobs are hard to find.

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
In a classical setting, if one can somehow manage to make their way into a world class orchestra, you can make a decent amount. Minnesota Orchestra's base pay is around $134,000 which is decent, Boston's pays the highest in the US I believe. As much as I'm considering a music major, as you said, decent paying jobs are hard to find.
Yea, I figured that if I were to pursue a musical career, it would be in a classical setting. Not sure of my chances of making it into an orchestra like that because we know slots like that a very slim (not to even mention difficult). But it would be my best bet if I wanted to truly love comfortably as a musician. It would be something that I really have to dedicate myself to because what a shame it would be to end up with a music major but not a job.

Beyond16

Bronze member
Do you scoot with them?
Not often. You know how young children are. The ride their scooters 3 or 4 times a year, bicycles 3 or 4 times a year, and roller skate 3 or 4 times a year. Even the older one isn't good at sticking with something to try to master it. It is good to see young people here who put in a serious effort to learn something difficult.

Cole

Bronze member
Not often. You know how young children are. The ride their scooters 3 or 4 times a year, bicycles 3 or 4 times a year, and roller skate 3 or 4 times a year. Even the older one isn't good at sticking with something to try to master it. It is good to see young people here who put in a serious effort to learn something difficult.

wow never though about it that way

Frank T

Silver Member
Im a sophomore computer science major.
It entails lots of long nights and tears(not really, but actually)
in it to stack $crilla
uhhh go to college I guess would be my advice. Learning to code isnt too bad but nothing compares learning the math and theory behind it, especially for positions like software engineers who can easily start you at over 6 figures

skyrockett

Bronze member
i'm currently an apprentice spray painter (painting cars and shit) dropped out after i got offered an apprenticeship at 16, probably the best decision i've made in a while haha

Cole

Bronze member
i'm currently an apprentice spray painter (painting cars and shit) dropped out after i got offered an apprenticeship at 16, probably the best decision i've made in a while haha
Nice are you gonna stick with cars or will you move onto to like painting peoples houses there may be good money there if you know how to do it right