Guitarist Thread

BenJelinek

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a guitar about 2 months ago and it was probably one of the best decisions ive made. its an awesome experience to learn how to play guitar, especially when you start getting to the point where you can play an entire song. its just a good feeling. time goes by about 3-4x faster when im practicing too, haha. once you get the basics down its pretty easy to make up your own riffs/melodies too, ive noticed

post in here your experiences with anything guitar related, what songs you're learning, suggestions on what to learn, etc.

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
Just picked up a white gibson sg

I've always wanted to get an sg, ever since I started playing the guitar back in the 6th grade and it plays songs tuned down 1 1/2 steps soooooo well

CoryR

Silver Member
I don't play guitar, but my friend from school does and he always has movie nights and he just ends up playing song requests. It seems really cool to do but i just never tried to learn.

Hep Greg

Administrator
slowly learning how to play. havent been putting in much time lately, dunno why. needa get back on it

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
I practice way to much lol
I'll do like 9 hour sessions on the weekends haha

And I'm getting an ibanez rg6002 for Christmas. Stoked nation

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
What sort of music do you do?
^Aw man, I never saw this haha

Like 3-4 years ago, I literally played nothing but like 80's, 90's punk, but after awhile, I felt like I wasn't progressing anymore because what I was playing was literally just minor chord progressions with a minor pentatonic solo. So I decided to bump up my game a bit and I got into alot more Metal type material. But lately I've just really been drilling my theory, scales, modes, and all that other stuff most people could care less about.

But I try to focus on Metal, but I've thrown in alot of Jazz and Blues type stuff in there too.

I tried learning Cliffs of Dover last year... The intro/outro can go to Hell

tylerbillman

Steel Member
^Aw man, I never saw this haha

Like 3-4 years ago, I literally played nothing but like 80's, 90's punk, but after awhile, I felt like I wasn't progressing anymore because what I was playing was literally just minor chord progressions with a minor pentatonic solo. So I decided to bump up my game a bit and I got into alot more Metal type material. But lately I've just really been drilling my theory, scales, modes, and all that other stuff most people could care less about.

But I try to focus on Metal, but I've thrown in alot of Jazz and Blues type stuff in there too.

I tried learning Cliffs of Dover last year... The intro/outro can go to Hell

This is directed at you but also to everyone else who may see it, what does progressing mean to you??

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
This is directed at you but also to everyone else who may see it, what does progressing mean to you??
Umm, that's kind of deep haha but, I'd say creating a greater understanding of the fretboard and how how all the scales, modes, other theory stuff fits together. Finally nailing some crazy song may be sweet feeling, but in the end, did you really understand how the song works? How can you use that crazy song to influence your future playing sort of thing.

Devin DePriest

Beef Repellent
Staff member
No one? Any one with at least a music background? I can't be the only one here with a heart for music history/theory/structure haha

Actually maybe I am... screw the music industry brainwashing kids 'n' stuff