HELP - DV tapes - Capture issues

tyler_magro

UN1C0RN
I've had a nice SD camera for over a year now, and I still haven't found out HOW TO CAPTURE TO MY MACBOOK

Ive tried two different cameras, I bought a firewire to usb adapter (hahahaha), and now I also bought another adapter and a power cable to try a third camera...

I'm using cheap-o firewire 400 to 800 adapter and a firewire cable, hooked it all up and my computer still doesn't recognize the camera; Nothing shows up.

How do capture to macbook?

BenJelinek

Administrator
Staff member
this is why i gave up on filming sd.

try getting a pinnacle movie box, theyre like 50 bucks and they have the right adapter if your computer only has usb. that worked for a while for me

Killa Krew

Bronze member
I use a belkin firewire 800 to 4 pin male for my Sony HVR-Z1P. Its very easy. Connect your camera in playback mode into your macbook. Open up iMovie (or whatever) on your mac and open your camera hit play and record. You will then finish the import whenever you want and the DV rip will be on your pc. When you plug it in it should appear as a camera connected in finder.

If you tell me what Cam and macbook you got i can do a quick googlefor what youd need? You should only need 1 cable for your setup and they are cheap, but i recommend a brand like belkin for reliability.

DV Camcorders arent digitally recorded to a filesystem and therefore you will need to record off your tapes in a similar way you would copy a VHS or Cassette rather than a USB cable and copy

WTF A FIREWIRE TO USB CABLE!? lol

tyler_magro

UN1C0RN
I've tried the whole iMovie thing, yet my mac never picks up the camera. I'm using a 4 pin/400 firewire cable with a 400 to 800 adapter and have tried two jvc's and a panasonic.

Also good looks on the heads up with mac compatibility on that box thing.. I have a windows computer also, I'm just using the mac to capture because it has a firewire port.

Killa Krew

Bronze member
if you are editing on windows i would recommend you get something like that $50 box because it will save you time cuz you wouldnt need your mac

tyler_magro

UN1C0RN
Looking into the movie box... Captures using s:video and VGA inputs. I know my camera can output s:video but how the fuck would I capture the audio? There's no audio jack on cam corders..