Lens Help

Dean Bost

Bronze member
Im new to photography and i plan on getting a new camera soon. (probably just a t3i) Can anyone tell me what lens i should get? I want to get a really nice fisheye or wide angle. I was looking and saw how people post lens dimensions for example 50-250mm. How exactly do you know what kind of lens that would be?

Bear Grylls

M3MB3R
If you want a fisheye, get a many brand fisheye (rokinon,opteka,samyang,bower) I suggest the opteka 6.5 or rokinon 8mm CANON mount. Do not get one that attaches to the kit lense.

Whenever you buy a lens, it will tell you the zoom length ex: 50-250, 50, 70-300 and that's how much it zooms.

Aperture is an important factor to, the lower the F number the more light it lets in and gives it more DOF (more blurred background). Example: canon 50mm f1.8 is a really good lense and is only 104$ ish.

Devin Catron

Steel Member
6-8 would be a fisheye. if you want a wide angle I would suggest the sigma 10-20. 35mm would be good for portraits. 50mm wouldnt be too bad either. if you get a 50mm get the canon 50mm f1.4 it all depends on what you want to use it for. I would suggest getting a 50mm to start out with.

Anton

Silver Member
If you want a fisheye, get a many brand fisheye (rokinon,opteka,samyang,bower) I suggest the opteka 6.5 or rokinon 8mm CANON mount. Do not get one that attaches to the kit lense.

Whenever you buy a lens, it will tell you the zoom length ex: 50-250, 50, 70-300 and that's how much it zooms.

Aperture is an important factor to, the lower the F number the more light it lets in and gives it more DOF (more blurred background). Example: canon 50mm f1.8 is a really good lense and is only 104$ ish.

I wish you could like a post. This is one of the most helpful posts I've read on SR.

Dean Bost

Bronze member
yeah it really helped, and alright thanks devin. Im probably going to be using my fisheye for filming my riding, so what kind do you think i should get for t3i?

Max Kernmayer

Bronze member
yeah it really helped, and alright thanks devin. Im probably going to be using my fisheye for filming my riding, so what kind do you think i should get for t3i?

Get the Manybrand (Opteka, Samyang, Wallimax,...) 8mm Canon Mount. It's probably the best fish for filming for under 1000$ (Canon 8-15mm).
For other lenses it depends on what you want them to use for. A 50mm 1.8 is probably your best bet for starting, since its really really good for its price.

Bear Grylls

M3MB3R
Canon 8-15 is more geared towards full frame dslr's I believe, the t3i is crop.

And I would suggest getting:
Extra batteries, nothing worse than camera dying on a shoot
Battery grip for hand filming and extended battery
A good tripod if you get one. Do not get a cheap one, I guarantee you will hate it and will break it.
Maybe a rode mic, to me dslr audio isn't that bad but a mic is cool.
A CANON BACKPACK. Bags you have to carry, especially if your on your scooter a backpack is so convenient.

Everyones told me the 550d is better :/
There the same camera, just one has a flippy screen.

Broccoli1

Bronze member

less DOF (Depth of Field) :)

NickTrella

Bronze member
Stick to EF mount lenses and not EF-S. EF will fit on both fullsize and crop sensors, so if you upgrade to a better canon camera in the future; you dont have to get rid of all your lens