Multiple bars bend beyond use

Storm Ray

So this all started when I got the Proto Martin Sig baby scs and I had Envy thermal Bars at 22"w 23h and after a month of riding the set up, they bent way too much. So I got the same bars as a replacement and they bent in 2 months beyond use. So I replaced the proto clamp with the Root Industries Air scs clamp and the bars still bent. So I kinda gave up until I saw my dream bars for sale recently so I bought them. It was the Affinity Titanium Bars at 24"w 28H. I put them on and loved them. However, I don't want to bend these so I came to the forums to see if there was a solution. Also I should mention I have a 10mm headset space and I already tried tightening the compression and it still feels like it will bend. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

readybmxer

Bronze member
Have your old bars bent on the lower area of the downtube?

I know Ryan Williams had this trick where he used an old fork. It looks like it'll take a bit of handy work with tools, but it went like so.

Ryan got an old fork that fit perfectly inside his bars. Seeing you're running SCS, I think any HIC fork will do as it'll fit perfectly inside the bars since Ryan's signature bars are standard for SCS. He pounded the steerer tube of the fork inside the lower downtube, the area where the clamp tightens onto the bars. After that, he hacksawed the fork legs off, so it was only the steerer tube inside the bars. He said that this has prevented his bars from bending and always does this with every bar he gets. He runs 26" H x 25" W, I believe.

Storm Ray

Have your old bars bent on the lower area of the downtube?

I know Ryan Williams had this trick where he used an old fork. It looks like it'll take a bit of handy work with tools, but it went like so.

Ryan got an old fork that fit perfectly inside his bars. Seeing you're running SCS, I think any HIC fork will do as it'll fit perfectly inside the bars since Ryan's signature bars are standard for SCS. He pounded the steerer tube of the fork inside the lower downtube, the area where the clamp tightens onto the bars. After that, he hacksawed the fork legs off, so it was only the steerer tube inside the bars. He said that this has prevented his bars from bending and always does this with every bar he gets. He runs 26" H x 25" W, I believe.
Ok I will try that thanks