Oldhead Needs Advice on Modern Companies

DavidMiles47

Steel Member
Ok,,,,I started riding a LONG time ago. Pretty much the whole time I was still a serious rider, there were ZERO after market options. And if there were, they were very low budget unprofessional operations where you would basically paypal some kid and him and his dad were supposed to make you some bars or a couple stoner brothers up in washington would send you some. Andrew broussard was really the only one offering anything semi professional when he started making SR parts....but I digress

I dropped out of the scene towards the end of high school for me, I fell off around '09-10. Joined this site in 2007 and had lurked for a long time prior to that. My point is that barely any of the companies that are around today were out by the time I fell off so my knowledge of all these present day companies is extremely limited. I am looking for a solid complete to get back into riding possibly, where do I start? Who is the empire/danscomp of scooters nowadays? Are 120mm wheels the norm now? Im going to start peeping your scooter thread to hopefully start gaining an idea on whats what on a regular setup nowadays. But Im really just looking to be pointed in the right direction or given a mini breakdown of who is who maybe?

Like pro models were still the thing to ride when I quit, scooter riders were far and few in between. Nowadays scooters are no different than skaters or bikes. It's so bizarre to see since I dont ride anymore but very very cool.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Maybe going to be around here more often maybe not, are these boards dead?

DavidMiles47

Steel Member
wow this place is that dead? wtf what happened to SR,,,how is this forum banging when scooters werent even a thing and then when it finally becomes normal/mainstream to ride there is absolutely no activity lol

DavidMiles47

Steel Member
alex steadman
the baboons
cary/cory mosbrucker/david nichols
brian boston
matt dibble
BLT
scoo york clique
is that emo faggot derek lowndes still here?
are any of the above people still around or even known by today's riders? remember so many names from back in the day, they'll keep cming to me

Beyond16

Bronze member
Apparently the scooter crowd now hangs out at 'social media' sites such as FB, snapchat, instagram, etc. I hope non-commercial boards like this one don't go extinct as a result.

matr!

Silver Member
alex steadman
the baboons
brian boston
matt dibble
BLT
scoo york clique
are any of the above people still around or even known by today's riders? remember so many names from back in the day, they'll keep cming to me
Came here for a nostalgia trip, eh? Place has been dead for years. Just remember the good times and keep on walking like the rest of us.

I was probably a bit later than you but a few things -

Hella Dank compression
Bolted Foldies
Hot glued pro model wheels
Trolley bars (which literally involved stealing the handle from a trolley for your bars)
Hep Greg 125mm eagles (has anyone still got these? I'll pay good money for a new pair)
The time that Stan Smirnoff got kicked off eagle for refusing to take a proto off the front
cj treihart ordering bulk chinese shitty wheels and trying to sell them as his own top notch wheels
when MGP was just a shitty kmart brand that ended up accidentally making one of the best decks of all time
the first time someone snapped an ultra pro... like 2 days after they came out
likewise the first time someone snapped a 3.8mgp at the headtube welds, so MGP went and redesigned the decks with forged headtubes
when headsets weren't fucking integrated
putting a penny under your brake spring so it didn't rattle like a motherfucker
having to get starnuts out with bike spokes
when the only metalcores were yaks and they had plastic bearing cup things
Tom K taking a massive fall on a 16 stair and everyone witch-hunting lucky about it
odi longnecks
micro xt
Terry Price
that thread like 60 pages long full of people arguing over whether or not you should run a bearing spacer
likewise that huge argument about someone snapping an axle and whether or not it was because it was loose
that thread where someone wanted to know how to cut a brake (you know the one)

I can go on.

DavidMiles47

Steel Member
Came here for a nostalgia trip, eh? Place has been dead for years. Just remember the good times and keep on walking like the rest of us.

I was probably a bit later than you but a few things -

Hella Dank compression
Bolted Foldies
Hot glued pro model wheels
Trolley bars (which literally involved stealing the handle from a trolley for your bars)
Hep Greg 125mm eagles (has anyone still got these? I'll pay good money for a new pair)
The time that Stan Smirnoff got kicked off eagle for refusing to take a proto off the front
cj treihart ordering bulk chinese shitty wheels and trying to sell them as his own top notch wheels
when MGP was just a shitty kmart brand that ended up accidentally making one of the best decks of all time
when headsets weren't fucking integrated
putting a penny under your brake spring so it didn't rattle like a motherfucker
having to get starnuts out with bike spokes
micro xt
Terry Price
odi longnecks/edwins
======================================================================================
the first time someone snapped an ultra pro... like 2 days after they came out
likewise the first time someone snapped a 3.8mgp at the headtube welds, so MGP went and redesigned the decks with forged headtubes
when the only metalcores were yaks and they had plastic bearing cup things
Tom K taking a massive fall on a 16 stair and everyone witch-hunting lucky about it
odi longnecks
that thread like 60 pages long full of people arguing over whether or not you should run a bearing spacer
likewise that huge argument about someone snapping an axle and whether or not it was because it was loose
that thread where someone wanted to know how to cut a brake (you know the one)

I can go on.

I remember and have extensive knowledge on all the topics above the line LOL

locked foldies were classic
one piece bars were SUPER rare, you were very fucking special if you knew a way to cop some
bearing pegs
trolley bars were a classic, i remember i put a TON of effort in getting one off a cart all for nothing beccause it ended up not fitting (american)
the first scooter competitions (cooter con, xw, incline club, brooklyn banks jam, etc)

i could go on and on, such a major nostalgia trip. so many good times and memories, shame what has happened to this place. it used to be SO fun. i dropped out of the scene like right before ultra pros. right before one piece decks and bars were the normal. and i quit a couple years before scootering went mainstream and became normal. back when i rode ALL you would get is hate and shit if you tried to ride. only the real dudes would respect you if you could ride.

i have so many questions smh,,,,the scooter scene is just so weird from my perspective haha its hard to explain. i really dont want to sound like an old man but in the scooter riding aspect i am

DavidMiles47

Steel Member
i remember when proto was jsut SR branded products made by andrew. he started with bars and forks, with him creating the first threadless fork. lol i remember people having COUNTLESS headaches with the compression system/starnuts/headsets, it was such a shit show. but andrew made major strides,,,,at the time he was literally the only person offering LEGIT aftermarket parts that could be bought online through a store (not some kid PMing you saying he and his dad could build some bars if you want some lmao). then it eventually turned into proto and that was the tail end of my 'career'

i remember
-yaks
-low pros
-that dude Madis from estonia
-coedie/james barrett and all the retarded aus cunts of course
-faggot hep greg and that stupid hipster slut margaret would spam the forums with their stupid scooter relationship bullshit
-sean kane, elitist hipster photographer in philly who thought he was cooler/better than everyone because he was like 23 and by far the oldest on the forum besides andrew
-dakota was a tiny fucking kid in my time, he was like 7-8 years old lol i dunno how old he is now
-mckeen fucking killing street like no one else can (saw some recent footage of him so that makes me happy)
-im from houston so i was hanging with matt ogle and the SI clique
-which totally fucking reminds me about poor daniel warwick RIP ;(

god dammit so many feels and memories. i was on my scooter and on this board A LOT during a very pivotal time in my life guys please bare with my ramblings lmao

matr!

Silver Member
oh shit you just bought back a lot of memories man. I've been laughing for like 10 minutes reminiscing about that Free Kota shit, when everyone thought he was being held hostage by his dad and didn't even like riding ahaha. Would be cool if a few other older guys came into this thread and dropped some memory fuel, I know billie rainbow still comes here occasionally, and I'm pretty sure he was the first person ever to drill speed holes in a deck ahah.

morgan_bvrns

Steel Member
alex steadman
the baboons
brian boston
matt dibble
BLT
scoo york clique
I've been around for a while and I only know Brian Boston, Steadman, and the Scoo York dudes.

DavidMiles47

Steel Member
oh shit you just bought back a lot of memories man. I've been laughing for like 10 minutes reminiscing about that Free Kota shit, when everyone thought he was being held hostage by his dad and didn't even like riding ahaha. Would be cool if a few other older guys came into this thread and dropped some memory fuel, I know billie rainbow still comes here occasionally, and I'm pretty sure he was the first person ever to drill speed holes in a deck ahah.

lol even speed holes were pretty far after (i think, i dont know exactly how long after those came along, i dont even know what those are lmao) what im talking about man. im talking about like 2005-2008 era.

seeing as im barely getting any responses from anyone, let alone any people from my era, im going to guess that none of the older guys are still around or come on here. does andrew even own this site still?

morgan_bvrns

Steel Member
Andrew still runs Proto, and I guess still owns this domain. Kasson and Steadman still ride scooters, though Steadman is sans-dreads and Kasson's got a big beard now.