The Grind Dictionary and Discussion Thread

tylerbillman

Steel Member
[size=+4]The Grind Dictionary and Discussion Thread![/size]
In this thread there is a comprehensive list of all scooter grinds and short descriptions for each one. There are also descriptions of various terms used when talking about or doing grinds (such as frontside, backside, fakie, etc.).

This thread can also be used for grind discussion: how to do grinds, tricks when trying new grinds, your favorite grinds, etc.

[size=+2]List and descriptions of all grinds:[/size]

Feeble - A feeble grind is when your front wheel is rolling on top of the ledge or rail and your back dropout is sliding on the edge.
This grind can also be done with pegs. When using pegs, a feeble grind is when your front wheel is on top of the ledge rolling and your back peg is grinding on the ledge.

Smith - A smith grind is when the front part of your deck, behind your front wheel/forks, is grinding the edge of the ledge, and your back wheel is on top of the ledge rolling.
This grind can also be done with pegs. When using pegs, a smith grind is when your back wheel is on top of the ledge rolling and your front peg is grinding the ledge.

Boardslide - A boardslide seems similar to a feeble grind, but is actually a completely different grind. A boardslide is when you are grinding on a ledge or rail with the bottom of your deck only. For a boardslide, your front wheel passes over the obstacle when you hop into the grind. Your front wheel and your back wheel never touch the obstacle you are grinding.

Lipslide - A lipslide seems similar to a smith grind, but is actually a completely different grind. A lipslide is when you are grinding on a ledge or rail with the bottom of your deck only. For a lipslide, your back wheel passes over the obstacle when you hop into the grind. Your front wheel and your back wheel never touch the obstacle you are grinding.

Hurricane - A hurricane grind is a variation of a boardslide, but it is so common that it has its own name. In the grind, your front wheel ends up behind you and you grind with your back wheel forwards. To complete the grind, you hop out and move your scooter so that you land going forwards.
A full hurricane is done with your back dropout sliding on the obstacle.
A less clicked hurricane is referred to as "hot garbage" and looks the same as a hurricane, but you are sliding on the deck, rather than on the back dropout.

Sugarcane - A sugarcane is the lipslide version of a hurricane. Basically, you take every part of a hurricane and apply it to a lipslide. This means you are grinding the same way, except for when you hop into the grind your back wheel passes over the obstacle.

Double peg - This grind is exactly what is sounds like: a grind using two pegs. With this grind, both pegs slide on top of the rail or ledge and neither of your wheels touch the top of the obstacle. Your scooter is parallel with the obstacle.

5050 - This grind looks exactly like a double peg grind, but is done without pegs. Instead of grinding with both pegs on top of the ledge or rail, you are grinding with one side of the bottom of your deck on top of the obstacle. Your wheels are always on the side of the obstacle.

Icepick - An icepick is a grind that uses only the back peg. You need pegs to do this grind. The easiest way to describe it is a "grind manual." You grind the ledge or rail with only the back peg on top, and your front wheel lifted up, just like you are doing a manual.

Toothpick - A toothpick is a grind that only uses the front peg. You need pegs to do this grind. The easiest way to describe it is a "grind nose-manual." You grind the ledge or rail with only the front peg on top, and your back wheel lifted up, just like you are doing a nose-manual.

5-0 - This grind is the pegless equivalent of an icepick. It is commonly referred to as a "pegless icepick," but here I will call it a 5-0, to make the name easier to say and to note that it is different from an icepick. A 5-0 grind is the same as an icepick in appearance, but instead of grinding on your back peg, you are grinding on your back dropout, the area on the bottom of you deck right next to the back wheel. Your front wheel is pulled up like a manual and your back wheel is next to the edge of whatever you are grinding.

Overcrook - This grind is basically the pegless equivalent of a toothpick, but it is completely different. Most people describe it as a smith grind but leaned forward, since you grind on the same space as you do in a pegless smith grind. Overcrooks are when you grind on the space of your deck right behind your front wheel and fork, but with your back wheel only slightly tilted in over the ledge. You should be leaning forward onto that space and your back wheel should not touch the top of the ledge. The deck is usually at a 45 degree angle with the ledge, but some people do this grind tilted more or less than that.

Crook grind - A crook grind is the same as an overcrook grind, except the deck is hanging away from the ledge. It is not possible to do this grind on ledges, but it is possible on rails, because the wheel can go on the other side of the rail, but cannot go on the other side of the grinding edge on a ledge.

Noseblunt - This is also a pegless nose grind, much like overcrooks, but it is also very different from those. For noseblunts, you are grinding on the edge at the very front of the bottom of your deck (the part behind your front wheel and fork). The main different between noseblunts and overcrooks though, is that for noseblunts, the deck is at a 90 degree angle to the obstacle that you are grinding. Your front wheel is usually pointed forwards and your back wheel is over the top of the obstacle, but not touching. It looks very similar to a lipslide.

Crooked - This grind can be done with or without pegs and is not very common in scooters yet. Crooked grinds are when the front peg on one side of your scooter is grinding, and the back peg on the other side of your scooter is grinding. For example, your toeside front peg would be on the rail and your heelside back peg would be on the rail. These grinds are almost exactly like a boardslide on rails, but your wheels are right up next to the side of the rail. A crooked grind without pegs would be when your wheels are on opposite sides of the edge you are grinding and are also touching the sides, with you grinding on the bottom of your deck instead of on the pegs. (It is worth noting that some people do boardslides and lipslides on rails with their wheels touching the sides, so that it looks like a crooked grind would, but without pegs.)

Willy - A willy grind is almost a fusion of a feeble grind and a boardslide, where you are sliding with the middle of the deck and your front wheel is rolling on the obstacle. Good willy grinds are seen when you are sliding on the bottom of your deck more towards the front.

[size=+2]Most of you should be familiar with the terms frontside and backside, but some of you are not. When referring to grinds, this is what frontside and backside describe:[/size]

Frontside - when you hop into the grind with your toes or front (hence the name) facing the ledge. It may also be referred to as toeside.

Backside - when you hop into the grind with your heels or back (hence the name) facing the ledge. It may also be referred to as heelside.

***This applies to all grinds in the same way and should always be used when describing what hip new grinds you've learned.

Some other terms that you may hear used when referring to certain grinds are as follows (with their descriptions):

Switch - Switch is when you are riding in the opposite stance to what you usually ride in. So if you ride regular normally, then riding goofy would be switch for you. A switch grind is when you do a grind but with your feet facing the opposite way they normally would for you. If you ride in Ski, switch doesn't really apply to you and you should probably fix that.

Fakie - A fakie grind is when you do any of the above grinds, but grinding backwards. It is pretty self-explanatory.

Overside - An overside grind is when you hop from one side of the obstacle and grind on the opposite side. This term is usually used when grinding rails, but it could be used when grinding ledges too. For example: a front side overside double peg grind would mean that you jumped from the side of the rail that is toeside for you, over the rail, and grinded on the other side of the rail (with your heelside pegs).

Underside - Underside grinds are extremely uncommon, but they are definitely worth mentioning. Very similar to overside grinds, underside grinds are when you are grinding with the opposite side of your scooter to what side you start on (frontside or backside). for example: a backside underside 5050 would mean that you are grinding on a ledge with your wheels above the ledge and the toeside of your deck on the side of the ledge. This grind is extremely difficult to do on ledges, but many people do underside stalls, especially with pegs.

[size=+1]If there is a grind or other part missing that you would like to see added to this post, make a post about it describing what you would like added and either I or a mod will fix it. Thank you.[/size]

Bennett_J

Steel Member
Fakie Bs Feeble- What do call? (Official name)

I forgot: Madd love for the thread man. Helpful knowledge, good format.

tylerbillman

Steel Member
Fakie Bs Feeble- What do call? (Official name)

I forgot: Madd love for the thread man. Helpful knowledge, good format.

I know some of the frenchies call them hurricanes (I'm actually positive that JD calls them that) but I think it's better to just call them fakie BS feebles since hurricanes in the boardslide sense are completely different and more commonly called hurricanes.

Thank you very much too, I'm hoping this will help a lot of people down the road.

parrish

Administrator
Staff member
Alright
Feeble: when your back dropout is on the obstacle, and your front wheel is over it.
smith: when your front dropout if on the obstacle and your back wheel is over it.
willy: when your front dropout is on the obstacle and your front wheel is over it.
hurricane: when your back dropout is on the obstacle and your front wheel is behind it.
hot garbage: when your front wheel is behind your back wheel but no dropouts are touching it.

tylerbillman

Steel Member
Alright, fair enough, I'll add it haha. I edited the feeble, smith, and hurricane bits, and added a note about the hot garbage grind and added a section for willy grinds.

Anybody have ideas about how to name/describe FSF and SF grinds? Because I know people do them but I've never really heard names for them.

Jamie Gantz

Steel Member
Pegs aren't always necessary for crookeds, they are possible on rails without pegs. Also, hardspins into grinds are when you spin away from the ledge/rail. Might wanna add that.

tylerbillman

Steel Member
Pegs aren't always necessary for crookeds, they are possible on rails without pegs. Also, hardspins into grinds are when you spin away from the ledge/rail. Might wanna add that.

*hardway on.

hardspins out.

Fixed the crooked grind bit but I'm not sure if I want to cover tricks out in this thread but if a few other people want to see some terms specific to tricks out then post about it and I'll make it happen.

tylerbillman

Steel Member
Ok, the original post reached the maximum amount of characters. I wanted to be descriptive but I'm going to have to cut down from some of the descriptions so more grinds can be added.

Frank T

Silver Member
whats it when like, im going for a frontboard, but i end up with my back facing forward, is that a front lip?

tylerbillman

Steel Member
Well since you're grinding with your toes facing the ledge and doing a boardslide then it would be a frontside boardslide.