BS-FS-Stances-All you need to know thread

brandon kilbury

Super Moderator
K, If anyone has a question that isnt asnwered in here, pm me or post in this thread and ill try to update it. If someone makes a new thread asking about something that related to anything below or something worth adding, ill probably delete or lock the thread and answer it in here, so if your thread dissapears and i havent pmed you or something, check this.

Everything from this point on is as if you are riding in the regular position, if you are a goofy rider everyting is opposite for you.

<font size=5>BS/FS</font>

RAILS
say your riding up to a rail, more often than not you are to one side of it and coming in at a slight angle. now lets say you are regular and your toes are facing the rail as you ride towards it, this is FS, since your FRONT is facing the rail. if your regular and the rail is to your left, your heels are facing it, and it is BS since your BACK is facing it. same goes for any type of grind, no matter what grind it is, it is fs if your front is facing it as you ride up to it, and bs if your back is facing it.

SPINS
spins i can tell where people get a little confused because any way you put it it is a little weird. but you go by which direction your tail is spinning. if your regular and spin counterclockwise, your tail is spinning towards your front, FS. clockwise, your tail is spinning towards your back, BS.

SCOOTERFLIPS
very rarely do i see people referring to scooterflips as BS or FS but ill put it anyways. everyone knows you scooterflip to one side, now this is talking about SCOOTERFLIPS, as in front or back, taking one hand off (which is a real scooterflip, as named by the creater jordan miller*) anyways, say you ride regular and scooterflip with your left hand, so the scooter is flipping on your right side, or your front. this is FS, if with your right hand, its behind you and its called BS. same with front and back scooterflips, but i think its pretty pointless to use, i would just say opposite scooterflip.

also, i think it would be nice if everyone started categorizing their "scooterflips" as either
-front scooterflip
-back scooterflip
-front bri flip
-bri flip (or back bri flip)

becuase front and back scooterflip were the original names, and back scooterflip x up was the original name for bri flips before everyone decided to call them bri flips. before i knew it Josh Toy was calling scooterflips inward and outward impossibles or something and inward and outward stuck with people so they started saying inward and outward scooterflips and ugh i just think the 4 i listed above are just a lot simpler and they are the real names anyways. but if you insist on calling them all that other stuff, then at least say front or back, inward or outward, because "scooterflip" doesnt say a thing.

SOO, to wrap evverything up:

rail to right: FS
rail to left: BS
spin counterclockwise: FS
clockwise: BS
scooterflip to right: FS
scooterflip to left: BS

thats for a regular person, goofy is all the opposite. if you ride ski i guess your fucked

<font size=5>Everything else</font>

alleyoop/downside
ok, someone mentioned this too so ill add to it.

alleyoop is spinning the opposite way of which you are airing. so say your riding towards a quarter, and turning to the left a little bit so youll be airing out, and traveling left in the air, if you spin to the right, it will be alleyoop. same with if your traveling right and spin left. if you do it good you should be doing a little more than a 180, closer to a 270 to acctually just air. im pretty sure you can do alleyoop on other stuff too, like if you are going to jump off something, like say your riding along a long set of stairs, and turn right to jump them, if you carve right ot jump the stairs then spin to the left, its also alleyoop. some grinds can be alleyoop, if you spin alleyoop into them. like im sure most of you have seen in bmx, where they ride up a quarter, spin a 90 into a backwards double peg or something, thats an alleyoop double peg. anything from flairs, 540s, and pretty much any other trick you spin in can be done alleyoop.

downside refers to some sort of tailwhip most of the time. and its when you spin opposite the direction of your tailwhip/fingerwhip/whatever whip. 360 downside whips for instance, you do a 180 while your scooter tailwhips the opposite way, catch, then throw the next 180 and land. if you ask me i guess it would make more sense to make it a 180 downside whip, but its 360. even tailwhipping clockwise over a hip to the left is downside, since the scooter is spinning about 270 and you spin 90 the opposite way to meet it. downside fingerwhip is exactly the same as tailwhip or heelwhip except with your hand... im pretty sure ive heard or downside table tops too, because tables are supposed to be done where you lay the scooter/bike flat and turn the bars so they face upward, and downside is turning them downward but i guess those are called euros or something.

Stances/switch
left foot in front=regular
right foot in front= goofy
both feet like right next to each other both facing straight forward=ski

theres not much of a switch if you ride ski, yet antoher reason you shouldnt ride like that...but for the other stances

EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOUR NORMAL STANCE, EXCEPT BACKWARDS. kicking the deck towards your back with your toes is a tailwhip. kicking it out is a heelwhip. switch heelwhips are NOT switch tailwhips. switch tailwhips are usually harder for peope since its spinning the opposite way than theyre used to. things like barspins and scooterflips dont really change when you do them switch except that you stand the other way. fingerwhips i suppose are argueable, i can dothem with my opposite hand too, but most of the time i refer to a swtich fingerwhip as just a fingerwhip standing the other way, not necessarily with your opposite hand.

Fakie
fakie=riding backwards. thats it.
half cab=180 OUT of fakie, ex. half cab double whip = 180 double tailwhip out of fakie, landing forwards
full cab= there 2 ways to do them, you can either just jump and do a full 360, or the other way (which i like wayy more) where your rolling backwards, pivot on the back wheel then 180 back into fakie without your front wheel touching, it should all be done while still rolling. no 180 pivot to tiretap shit, that doesnt count as a full cab.

fakies should be clean, no hopping to keep your balance, it looks and sounds ugly hearing click click click click. so just work on steering to keep your balance, make sure theyre small turns, real sharp turns will throw you off balance. just little tweaks of the bars to keep you on track work.

nollies
nollies are basically bunnyhops or tricks out of a really short nose manny (by short i mean like a foot or less, just enough to balance and hop off)
ive seen people try nollie tricks by just doing a trick but tipping the scooter forward, this isnt a nollie. if the trick isnt much harder, your probably not doing it right, because getting hiehgt with them is pretty tricky.

cross foot/x ride
cross foot is riding/ doing tricks with your back foot crossed in front of your front leg and the foot on the front of the deck (for example, riding regular, your right foot crosses in front of your left)

you can do tricks into cross foot, out of cross foot, or both.

x ride is riding with your bars turned around in an x up, its typically pretty hard to do a good one doing an actual x up, instead you have to crank your whole elbow around to get a good grip and keep it going. whole trick is just to commit to it and hold it in that position and practice turning, at first youll have this tendency to try to turn it back when you start to lose balance or something. just hold it and it gets easy. as for tricks out, its easier if you hold the bars in place until just after you wheels leave the ground. if you try to turn the bars while you jump, it can throw the scooter off all weird and it messes you up.

kthxbie

*thanks to Jesse for brining up that point to me

Travis House

Wu-Tang Master
Staff member
brandon kilbury said:
it would be nice if a mod could make this a sticky or something plz !heart

k...first of all lets cover rails

RAILS
say your riding up to a rail, more often than not you are to one side of it and coming in at a slight angle. now lets say you are regular and your toes are facing the rail as you ride towards it, this is FS, since your FRONT is facing the rail. if your regular and the rail is to your left, your heels are facing it, and it is BS since your BACK is facing it. same goes for any type of grind, no matter what grind it is, it is fs if your front is facing it as you ride up to it, and bs if your back is facing it.

SPINS
spins i can tell where people get a little confused because any way you put it it is a little weird. but you go by which direction your tail is spinning. if your regular and spin counterclockwise, your tail is spinning towards your front, FS. clockwise, your tail is spinning towards your back, BS.

SCOOTERFLIPS
very rarely do i see people referring to scooterflips as BS or FS but ill put it anyways. everyone knows you scooterflip to one side, now this is talking about SCOOTERFLIPS, as in front or back, taking one hand off (which is a real scooterflip, as named by the creater jordan miller*) anyways, say you ride regular and scooterflip with your left hand, so the scooter is flipping on your right side, or your front. this is FS, if with your right hand, its behind you and its called BS. same with front and back scooterflips, but i think its pretty pointless to use, i would just say opposite scooterflip.

also, i think it would be nice if everyone started categorizing their "scooterflips" as either
-front scooterflip
-back scooterflip
-front bri flip
-bri flip (or back bri flip)

becuase front and back scooterflip were the original names, and back scooterflip x up was the original name for bri flips before everyone decided to call them bri flips. before i knew it Josh Toy was calling scooterflips inward and outward impossibles or something and inward and outward stuck with people so they started saying inward and outward scooterflips and ugh i just think the 4 i listed above are just a lot simpler and they are the real names anyways. but if you insist on calling them all that other stuff, then at least say front or back, inward or outward, because "scooterflip" doesnt say a thing.

SOO, to wrap evverything up:

rail to right: FS
rail to left: BS
spin counterclockwise: FS
clockwise: BS
scooterflip to right: FS
scooterflip to left: BS

thats for a regular person, goofy is all the opposite. if you ride ski i guess your fucked

and i guess just for good measure ill include goofy and regular, since ive seen people confused about that too. if you ride wtih your feet on the deck staggered in some way, left foot forward=regular, right foot forward=goofy

kthxbie

*thanks to Jesse for brining up that point to me

1st bold: Shit, every skater I know is now wrong. Even the sponsored guys...

2nd Bold: I laughed. Hard.

Nice work BK, sticky it for sure.

Brian Boston

I got myself banned.
You should probably say in the begining that everything there is for regular people instead of the end. Ill sticky it.

edit: nevermind i took care of it

Madis

Super Geek
Staff member
Nice work Brandon for writing this up. That's gonna clear up lots of minds. Props.

FrenchID

just need to add the Inward things. enven if it's not about front or back. For all those things, it's the same thing when it's fakie, opposite when it's switch.
Really helpful, i was totally right
Oh one last thing, someone must also explain downside , alley oops and i think it's everything.

dre

Travis House said:
Shit, every skater I know is now wrong. Even the sponsored guys...
lol, that is exactly why I got confused with it before, but I'm pretty sure I have it now, with many thanks to BK and this wonderful thread :)

Ryan_W

well some people spin easier bs vs. fs (natural and unnatural), but things like grind are usually consistent (bs lipslide is harder than fs lipslide for any normal human)