Camcorder super thread

TheObserver

Steel Member
okay, bumping this thread because its a sticky.
I have a JVC everio, I want a tripod for christmas but I'm not sure which ones fit my camera. Are they all like screw on ones like on handles?

BrandonWeir

Steel Member
Yeah they are. I'm pretty sure the size is universal, I've never seen a tripod with a different bolt size than the camera threads.

issac p

Silver Member
alright so i want to get a video camera, but i dont know anything about them.
1. i want a sony
2. i want a handle for it
3. i want a fisheye for it.
any suggestions? the most im willing to pay for all this is $450.

BrandonWeir

Steel Member
An HDR-CX110 would probably be best: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666073155 Try to find one used and then you'll have money left over for a fisheye and a handle.
You could get an HDR-XR110, and the quality might be a tiny bit better, but the difference is that the CX records to flash memory, and the XR records to a hard drive. The problem with hard drive cameras are if you drop them you're fucked. The XR has a flash card slot but I don't think it puts out as good of quality as the flash card slot in the CX.

Also, just so you know. Sony footage can be a bitch to edit. The software it comes with is garbage. If you have a mac, you'll want Final Cut Pro X. If you're on a PC I would recommend Sony Vegas or whatever the Adobe software is called (I forget). Software is expensive and if I'm honest, I pirated mine.
images

Madis

Super Geek
Staff member
You could probably do better. Perhaps you should look for a used panny sd9 from ebay? (has 3ccd)

Madis

Super Geek
Staff member
yea that's the one, plus it has enough manual controls when you start to want to get more legitimate footage out of a handicam. it shoots avchd format (.mts) like most HD handicams, i'm not sure if it works with vegas 8, i remember when i had to start dealing with avchd format, i had to bump up my vegas version so it would work natively, vegas 8 with codecs didn't seem to work then. Vegas 11 is now out you know... Other than that both vegas and avchd need a lot of computer resources so you might wanna look into adobe premiere as well.

search for sd9 or hs9 (harddrive version) raw footage on vimeo, you will recognize it if the downloadable link below the video says ".mts" format. If it's downloadable, get it and try it on diffirent editing programs.

robtom123

Bronze member
yea that's the one, plus it has enough manual controls when you start to want to get more legitimate footage out of a handicam. it shoots avchd format (.mts) like most HD handicams, i'm not sure if it works with vegas 8, i remember when i had to start dealing with avchd format, i had to bump up my vegas version so it would work natively, vegas 8 with codecs didn't seem to work then. Vegas 11 is now out you know... Other than that both vegas and avchd need a lot of computer resources so you might wanna look into adobe premiere as well.

search for sd9 or hs9 (harddrive version) raw footage on vimeo, you will recognize it if the downloadable link below the video says ".mts" format. If it's downloadable, get it and try it on diffirent editing programs.

ok cool so it does work with vegas 11 does it without converting files or anything? cos if so i will look into acc buying this

J SWEETS

I'M CB!
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666073155#additionalImage1"
ok, I need some info
1: fisheye, should I get a 30 to 37 mm step up ring? glu that bitch on and get an opteka?
2: If you can help me find a free editing software add me on facebook and help a brother out

why would you be glueing anything?