Film Photography Thread

BeeFrew

Silver Member
Can some one give me some basic do's and don'ts of shooting with a film camera? I just recently got one and have no idea what im doing, but very interested.

BeeFrew

Silver Member
I tried "scanning" my film today with my dads 36mp D810 and the photos look better than what the scaning companys picture turns out to be. Even if you dont have a super fancy dslr try scaning them yourself it really makes good resultes!
Make sure you are shooting in raw tho other wise it will turn to shit as you have to correct some colors!

DigtalRev made a great video about it.

gonna try this soon...

JoelanPlz

Steel Member
i don't know if im being uber nooby but wouldn't the film burn as soon as you took it out of the casing?

BeeFrew

Silver Member
You need to get the film negatives first, so basically you need developed film. If you just take it out you will be left with black squares and ruined photos
i don't know if im being uber nooby but wouldn't the film burn as soon as you took it out of the casing?

yoyoflavored

Steel Member
  • I'm trying to get into film photography because I find the cameras themselves fascinating. I just got 11 rolls of 120 film in the mail today for my Koni omega rapid 100 rangefinder. I missed focus in this shot, but here is a pic (scanned from my printer lol) its from a test reel that I ran to see if the camera even worked right.
https://instagram.com/p/2pjT1QEYH7/?taken-by=bigpapanel

I'm fixing up a couple of 35mm cameras and I have a Bronica etrc in the mail :)

Can some one give me some basic do's and don'ts of shooting with a film camera? I just recently got one and have no idea what im doing, but very interested.
bump, taking photography next year, its all film
double bump!

From my very limited experience:

Do:
Take time to evaluate your scene, make each exposure count.
Get to know your camera (Settings, functions, quirks, how to load and unload film, etc) BEFORE loading your first roll
Get some sort of light meter app on your phone, unless your camera has one
Buy film in bulk (if you know you will use it)
Store old film, or extra film in the freezer.
Double check that your lenses actually work right (check that aperture blades are snappy)
Get used to manual focus
Learn how to adjust exposure settings
experiment with new lenses! old lenses can be cheap and fun to use!
Treat your camera with respect. It may be made of metal and feel like a tank, but its not indestructible.
store your camera and lenses in a clean, dry place.
be respectful to those you photograph.
HAVE FUN AND GET CREATIVE
oh, and focus on composition of your photos.
develop your own style.

Don't:
never shoot rapid fire, or get a automated film winder. Wastes precious film. Use digital if you are going to spray and pray.
please don't be a hipster douche bag.
don't open your camera up mid roll, you will ruin your film.
don't let kids play with all of the little knobs and buttons when you have a roll of film in your camera.
don't rely on your light meter all of the time, Film is extremely forgiving so you can "save" over/underexposed images easier than on digital
don't get prints or CD's of your pictures (unless you need them), its not hard to scan them to your computer for free or very cheap.
don't buy broken gear expecting that you can fix it, unless you actually can fix it. (or it is DIRT cheap)
don't buy really old film, unless you know what to expect from it.

Last edited:

BeeFrew

Silver Member
  • I'm trying to get into film photography because I find the cameras themselves fascinating. I just got 11 rolls of 120 film in the mail today for my Koni omega rapid 100 rangefinder. I missed focus in this shot, but here is a pic (scanned from my printer lol) its from a test reel that I ran to see if the camera even worked right.

Do:
Get to know your camera (Settings, functions, quirks, how to load and unload film, etc) BEFORE loading your first roll
Double check that your lenses actually work right (check that aperture blades are snappy)
Get used to manual focus
Treat your camera with respect. It may be made of metal and feel like a tank, but its not indestructible.
develop your own style.

Don't:
never shoot rapid fire, or get a automated film winder. Wastes precious film. Use digital if you are going to spray and pray.
don't let kids play with all of the little knobs and buttons when you have a roll of film in your camera.
don't rely on your light meter all of the time, Film is extremely forgiving so you can "save" over/underexposed images easier than on digital
don't get prints or CD's of your pictures (unless you need them), its not hard to scan them to your computer for free or very cheap.
don't buy broken gear expecting that you can fix it, unless you actually can fix it. (or it is DIRT cheap)

Thanks for the help!

Bror Svensson

Gold Member

Do:
Get used to manual focus
develop your own style.

Don't:
id would like to add that if you are buying a film camera try to get a lens that has the widest aperture you can get (f2, 1.8, 1.4). Because film cameras have a hard time going over 800 iso so you will want to have all the light gatering capabilites you can get.
My recomendation is a Canon ae 1 with a 50mm 1.4 fd or a olympus om 1 with the 50 1.8, both are great setups and will work amazing for most things.

Also id like to add that shooting raw on digital has more leeway for under/overexposing than film.

BeeFrew

Silver Member
For me I choose to only shoot in raw. It requires you to still make sure your settings are right, but also lets you have total control in post-processing.

Josh.c

Steel Member
just got my first roll of film back will post some of the results later, just got prints and negatives so will scan the prints in somehow haha