How to dye a wheel-Step by Step(pics included)

jcas367

Bronze member
I have made a full step by step thread on how to dye wheels, to hopefull anwser many "how to dye wheel" questions.

Step 1-Go to any craft store and pick up some RIT brand dye in any color that you want. I buy the powder kind, just because thats what most people use but im sure the liquid works too.
1z1zibs.jpg

Step 2-Boil enough water to cover the wheel/wheels with about 1/2 to 1 inch of water over them.
ziqhd3.jpg

Step 3-Put the water in a bucket, then add the dye. If you want a lighter color then add about 1/4 of the pack, but if you want it darker add about 1/2 of the pack and add more if needed. Make sure you stir the water well before doing Step 4.
2ce3m6c.jpg

Step 4-Place your wheel/wheels into the water(i used an old razor pro wheel, just to test it)
vfwop0.jpg

Step 5-Wait about 3-4 hours or just do it before bed, then take the wheel out, dry it off any enjoy your new colored wheel!
2lvdcb8.jpg

FAQ:
Can you use any wheel?
Yes you can, plastic core or metal core, but i recommend you use a light colored wheel for the color to show up better.

Will the color wear off?
It shouldn't wear off as long as you leave the wheel in for at least 3-4 hours to let the dye soak through the wheel.

How much is the dye?
The dye usually runs from $2-3 dollars a pack depending on what store you go to.

I will also post up pics of my white eagle sport metal cores when they are done to show you how they turned out.

By the way, Mods if you like this do you think it could be stickied?

Update!: Dyed Metal Core
BEFORE:
vpghgm.jpg

AFTER:
x6mvzo.jpg

2125ljd.jpg

jcas367

Bronze member
DANNN P. said:
Sick! Thanks!

Edit: what is that green stuff in your core before you put it in the dye?
I didnt have any hot glue and i tried to fill the core with wax awhile back, but it didnt work out too well haha

jcas367

Bronze member
yeah just boil it until it starts to bubble a little...idk why you have to but i tried it without boiling it and it didnt work nearly as well, maybe the heat expands the urathane and the dye soaks in? idk

Jason

Silver Member
I'll try to remember to make a video next time I dye a wheel, as I'll include the steps to mask off ares of the wheels and make patterns.

jcas367

Bronze member
yeah im doing my metal cores now...i started them at 4:13 and they will be ready at 8:13 hahah but ill put some pics up when theyre done