The "What Camera Should I Get?" Thread

Blake

Steel Member
If your going to go and buy a t3i for quality, you are going to have to expect to pay a bit for a decent lens. Your not going to find a decent fisheye (lens) that is less than $250 new for a DSLR.

J SWEETS

I'M CB!
dslrs are go big or go home. You cant cheap out on glass and expect good results, a good fisheye will run you around 300-800. (thats implying you dont get a manybrand 8mm)
youll need a constant aperture zoom lense, probably a nice prime/pancake for DOF shots.
All in all, a good setup will cost you around 1500, at least. thats not including a handle, and a good handle is 400.

Josh.c

Steel Member
thank you t3i with kit lens and save for a samyang fisheye. Should i get a 50mm f1.8 for £50 more so i get a t3i, 18-55mm and a 50mm 1.8? (last question)

J SWEETS

I'M CB!
thank you t3i with kit lens and save for a samyang fisheye. Should i get a 50mm f1.8 for £50 more so i get a t3i, 18-55mm and a 50mm 1.8? (last question)

didnt I just say not to get a manybrand 8mm? (rokinon, samyang, bower, etc) They arent wide lenses and for video are really just not fun to use. and no, I would spend money on a constant ap zoom before you buy a prime, since you're new to filming you really shouldnt be messing with shallow dof shots anyhow, seeing as to how everyone that has a shallow dof prime seems to think theyre pro's with lame rack focuses.

J SWEETS

I'M CB!
Im not new to filming im upgrading and thanks i could get a 55-200m with a bundle kit ??

I can assume you're new to dslr filming, since you dont know what constant ap is. And if its in a bundle I doubt its constant aperture. You're going to be looking for a lens that says something like f/3.5 70-200mm. That means the lens only has an aperture of f/3.5, it cant be changed, that way when you're zooming you dont get any flickr's/flashes from your camera changing aperture while zooming.

Josh.c

Steel Member
okay thanks ill have a look around for diffrent lens. what would i use a 70-200m lens for while filming scootering as normally the skateparks around my area are realy tight and not much room

dezbert

Steel Member
Overrated, overpriced. But if you're willing to pay a lot for a full setup, you can make some extremely high quality videos.

I feel you, but i LOVE mine, because I also take pictures with it and stuff. Also, I got mine BRAND NEW for $580...so it wasn't bad at all imo.

J SWEETS

I'M CB!
okay thanks ill have a look around for diffrent lens. what would i use a 70-200m lens for while filming scootering as normally the skateparks around my area are realy tight and not much room

its a zoom lens..... for zooming.
and peleng 8mms are very good fisheyes, some people complaign about lens flare, but noone in the scooter world will care, and its a nice, wide, fun lens.

Josh.c

Steel Member
I know it's a zoom lens but what's the point when you want to keep the rider in the shot in a tight environment

J SWEETS

I'M CB!
I know it's a zoom lens but what's the point when you want to keep the rider in the shot in a tight environment

Thats exactly why you should need a zoom lens... That way your rider will never be too far or too close, and you can actually zoom while filming as opposed to just pointing a prime at someone like 99% of the dslr world does.

Blake

Steel Member
Thats exactly why you should need a zoom lens... That way your rider will never be too far or too close, and you can actually zoom while filming as opposed to just pointing a prime at someone like 99% of the dslr world does.

Because zooming while filming on a dslr is extremely awkward to do. If your using a tripod it's a little easier but still awkward. This is another con of a dslr.

CallumR

Steel Member
Looking for a cheapish camera, like somewhere round 500, suitable for filming of da streets. Something kinda easy to use, just a beginners camera really