THE NEW UK CHAT

Orion Maynard

Bronze member
you got facebook youf, ill hit you up if i do...
yhyh Orion-remy Maynard, and my pp is 1980s dancers, from the start of matt ogles mini ramp workout, if you've not saw that vid I think you should seriously check it out

does anyone bdw know what happened to Boxes Limited cus iv'e not heard or saw anything from the brand for ages

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Howse

I don't even think Boxes are making any clothing anymore, considering that the only shit you can order on the TGE Distribution website comes under the "Discontinued" category. I guess scooter clothing brands don't tend to work out too well, haha.

JoelanPlz

Steel Member
I don't even think Boxes are making any clothing anymore, considering that the only shit you can order on the TGE Distribution website comes under the "Discontinued" category. I guess scooter clothing brands don't tend to work out too well, haha.
speaking of which i need to hit up Crampton at some point because i want to know is uniun actually made money because if they failed, i doubt anything i try will work...

Joe Howse

From what I read it seemed more like they just didn't have the time, but most of the time people are really reluctant to talk about the money side of things.

Joe Howse

Yeah I guess it just wasn't worth their time for the amount of money they were getting, if it was getting enough money I'm sure they could've just hired somebody

James Hoffmann

Bronze member
Scooter clothing is much harder to market than scooters parts. A scooters rider needs scooter parts (with exceptions of like bearings or headsets which can be skateboard or bike parts), but a scooter rider can wear whatever clothes they want, it is more of a support those in the sport thing that lets scooter brand clothing stick out. One thing that I personally find hard is pricing. Shops don't want expensive clothing because a majority of scooter riders don't go around wearing zanerobe or whatnot, they just want their cheap $15 t-shirts that are probably starchy gildens or some shit. Using higher quality shirt/materials results in a higher cost for the brand, but they have to sacrifice profit for a hope for increases in sales for the cheaper price point. This makes it really hard to make a reasonable sum of money. The profit is barely (if even) enough to cover some of the overheads such as sending the riders product. Luckily I'm still at home so I have no utility or rent costs yet, but when I graduate in a year, I want a design studio to work from, which will drastically increase my monthly costs. I know I'm going to have to either branch into other industries, or start some manufacturing for others to keep up with these costs. I know I currently feel trapped creatively as scootering doesn't have a market for higher end, more innovative pieces, which results in no point of making them. Not sure how far I will drift away from the scooter market but in order to retain myself as a profiting business I know I'll have to start.

So in other words don't expect to make a ton of money on scooter clothing if that's all you do. (I've heard tilt was looking to do 5000 pieces of a hat though, so scooter parts + clothes might equal money hahaha)

JoelanPlz

Steel Member
Scooter clothing is much harder to market than scooters parts. A scooters rider needs scooter parts (with exceptions of like bearings or headsets which can be skateboard or bike parts), but a scooter rider can wear whatever clothes they want, it is more of a support those in the sport thing that lets scooter brand clothing stick out. One thing that I personally find hard is pricing. Shops don't want expensive clothing because a majority of scooter riders don't go around wearing zanerobe or whatnot, they just want their cheap $15 t-shirts that are probably starchy gildens or some shit. Using higher quality shirt/materials results in a higher cost for the brand, but they have to sacrifice profit for a hope for increases in sales for the cheaper price point. This makes it really hard to make a reasonable sum of money. The profit is barely (if even) enough to cover some of the overheads such as sending the riders product. Luckily I'm still at home so I have no utility or rent costs yet, but when I graduate in a year, I want a design studio to work from, which will drastically increase my monthly costs. I know I'm going to have to either branch into other industries, or start some manufacturing for others to keep up with these costs. I know I currently feel trapped creatively as scootering doesn't have a market for higher end, more innovative pieces, which results in no point of making them. Not sure how far I will drift away from the scooter market but in order to retain myself as a profiting business I know I'll have to start.

So in other words don't expect to make a ton of money on scooter clothing if that's all you do. (I've heard tilt was looking to do 5000 pieces of a hat though, so scooter parts + clothes might equal money hahaha)
im just wondering what we're missing that skaters have got. I guess its just the mainstream approval...

James Hoffmann

Bronze member
im just wondering what we're missing that skaters have got. I guess its just the mainstream approval...
The biggest clothing sellers in skateboarding seem to be more of a street wear brand that has skateboarding roots and involvement, some more than others (huf, ripndip, etc.). Skateboarding seems to be an integral part of street wear and sort of part of the counter culture that influences it, which opens the market from just skateboarding to everyone that follows with the feel of the brand. So pretty much mainstream approval, yes.

JoelanPlz

Steel Member
The biggest clothing sellers in skateboarding seem to be more of a street wear brand that has skateboarding roots and involvement, some more than others (huf, ripndip, etc.). Skateboarding seems to be an integral part of street wear and sort of part of the counter culture that influences it, which opens the market from just skateboarding to everyone that follows with the feel of the brand. So pretty much mainstream approval, yes.
i think another part of it is the approach. lots of these bigger skateboarding brands produce lookbooks and create a image and a brand for themselves whereas scooter based companies are more focused around crews that happen to make clothes. they hardly ever push themselves on social networks as well. uniun were the only brand that i saw promoting themselves constantly as a brand whilst also supporting the riders...

PS. tees arrive tomorrow #hyped

James Hoffmann

Bronze member
i think another part of it is the approach. lots of these bigger skateboarding brands produce lookbooks and create a image and a brand for themselves whereas scooter based companies are more focused around crews that happen to make clothes. they hardly ever push themselves on social networks as well. uniun were the only brand that i saw promoting themselves constantly as a brand whilst also supporting the riders...

PS. tees arrive tomorrow #hyped

http://www.magcloud.com/Webviewer/837426

Scooters have done lookbooks haha.

Uniun might be the only one in the UK, but plenty of companies have pushed themselves to that level elsewhere.