What's so bad about flyout?

Steve Moore

Steel Member
I don't like flyout cause it puts everyone else in the park at risk. I'm serious, If it has coping use it like it's supposed to be used. Not to mention it's kind of a faux pas for filming a video. You become a proformer of tricks and nothing more. No style or creativity, just a trick. Unless you're R Willy cause he is a killa.

Watching kids attempt flyout 360 bri-whips and cracking some passer by in the dome is something that happens far too often here.

My advice is to build a kicker or something to learn tricks on.
Yes. I love riding kickers. That's what I learned a lot of my first tricks on back in day.

Also, I would LOVE to see some more kicker riding in videos. I honestly don't know the last time I've seen a driveway edit. Not even a whole (mini) video of just driveway riding, just a day video with one person riding their own driveway setup.

BenJelinek

Administrator
Staff member
I hate it because its
easy
kids get in the way with it
then they brag about tricks they learned without saying it was flyout
it is extremely boring to watch in a video
or at all

KyrinBingaman

Silver Member
I don't like it, its annoying hearing all the little kids around here saying they have double whips flyout like its something to brag about.

serge

ive never ridden flyout. i dunno if its because when i started riding there was no such thing as a scooterkid and what not, but i never saw skateboarders or bikers doing tricks out of the tranny onto the deck literally ever unless they were just joking around.

it isnt good for your body to land like that from a big ol boost to flat with no speed.
it doesnt look good when you land with no speed and barely on your scooter.
why ride flyout when it doesnt allow you to learn to air back into coping and you could go sesh the bank with some skaters who are working on landing their tricks too?

idk. just two cents.

Travis House

Wu-Tang Master
Staff member
ive never ridden flyout. i dunno if its because when i started riding there was no such thing as a scooterkid and what not, but i never saw skateboarders or bikers doing tricks out of the tranny onto the deck literally ever unless they were just joking around.

it isnt good for your body to land like that from a big ol boost to flat with no speed.
it doesnt look good when you land with no speed and barely on your scooter.
why ride flyout when it doesnt allow you to learn to air back into coping and you could go sesh the bank with some skaters who are working on landing their tricks too?

idk. just two cents.

Not good for your parts either, when you blast down a big gap you have a ton of speed that takes all the impact off you, when you're just coming down straight off of a 3-6 foot air with hardly no speed your scooter has to take all the impact, thus snapping stuff!

Scoot69

Bronze member
I just dont like it because i blow so hard at it... I ride street so i stay away from it.. The only tricks i can do flyout is a front and backflip

alexallupinthis

Steel Member
flyout is isolating the trick, creating an enviornment that it is easiest to preform it in. it is not in and of its self bad, its just a form of learning. like say your tracing a peice of art in attempts to become better at it, it helps you learn, but its no your skills applied into real artwork, or in this case, real riding. Flyout also takes up the portion of the part that your using and you have to clear the area above the quater that you are using. in short tricks in application are more interesting then out of application, which is what flyout is. and damnit i have an essay to rewrite and i just wrote this instead haha whatever.

Ben Moak

Steel Member
its only because the general opinion here is going too be "what looks good and what is fun too watch" more than whats just fun too ride, what's fun too ride differs between the community so there is no true answer to what style of riding is better, only what is more pleasing too watch.

Its kind of like them kids that sit in a corner and go 20-2 in cod, they think that they are really good but in reality they're doing it in a way that they can't lose. Fly out is fine for messing around or getting a certain motion nailed, just don't whore I all day.

Excellent analogy

To add on to that, flyout is hated because it's so unnatural and doesn't look good. You're getting as much air possible given assistance of a quarter/bank (what have you) then landing totally flat. You know, it's exactly like matr said about obtaining a 20-2 score in cod. It's like "Well I can do it, I just need all these special circumstances, meanwhile, they are all the circumstances that make it easier and make my style look worse." It's like you don't even know how to truly do the trick if you can only do it flyout. It's not fun to watch a kid hammering out his trick list on a string of single trick clips done by being launched 8 feet into the air and then coming back down. It's like, you need a ramp for assistance to do the trick, but you're not going to use any other part of the park to flow around and look good, it just looks like you're just trying to get the job done the easiest way possible.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's a useful tool in learning things and in some cases, is one of the only way to land some insane things (such as the Ryan Williams mention earlier-would you expect him to do that over a spine?) and it's definitely a way to have fun which is obviously the most important factor. However, if you're shooting a vid, probably part of the reason is for entertainment purposes and the "cosmetically appealing factor behind your style and tricks, how they're done and how they're executed. Flyout is not a nice way to display those things. Put simply, it's not fun to watch. Anything past that is clueless kids forgetting why people don't like watching flyout to start with and see it as a new hate trend, which happens allll the time, especially in this type of community with the age group that falls in it.

It doesn't look like you're riding your scooter, just trying to land some trick, and really that's exactly what it is

edit: holy ----- I write way too many essays on sr

Tylerr.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fly out is super cool to learn tricks and practice them. Its hard doing some tricks straight to tranny you have to get used to them.
In my opinion get tricks flyout then do them to tranny.

Rob.

Admin
Staff member
194 likes seems ... like a positive thing to me.

edit: holy ----- i didnt see that video before and it was AWESOME.
That superman air on the vert ramp was probably one of my favorite clips in any video ever.